We made it till the third…

June 24, 2008

in Darndest Things,Motherhood

Kids like buttons. At least ours do. Our son was the first addict. We could keep him happy quiet for long periods of time by giving him the TV remote (with the TV off) and letting him just pound away. Him being the first, we were always careful when he got the phone. Wouldn’t want him to call someone unintentionally and have someone listening to uncensored Life at the Circus. He never really called anyone though, because life with one isn’t quite a circus, he just hit buttons. Naturally, when it came to baby number two we got a little more lax with the phone. Our daughter was a less enamored by the buttons, but she knew that the shiny one in the center made it light up and bzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. We’d just periodically hit the off button. By child number three, we are quite a bit more lax. We’d just give her the phone and go back to our business. It’s not like she’s really going to call someone anyway, right?

Thursday morning we received a call from the police. Seems little miss figured out how to dial 9-1-1. (I wonder how long we were “on the air” and what circus noise they heard during that time) Ooops! Mommy’s going to be a little more careful now.

{ 11 comments… read them below or add one }

Muthering Heights June 24, 2008 at 1:34 pm

Oh my goodness! How embarrassing! Luckily no one came rushing to your house!

Grandma June 24, 2008 at 2:22 pm

LOL More than one child has called 9-1-1 without their parents knowledge. Why don’t the phone companies think about moving those buttons so little thumbs holding a phone can’t automatically press with opposing thumbs and call that famous number!! She is your mime – quiet but active and bringing us all a laugh or two

We are THAT family June 24, 2008 at 3:08 pm

Super star blogger? Pshaw! But you did make me smile really big! As bad as it was when my daughter called the pastor, I think I’d take that over the police, any day!

Dana June 27, 2008 at 1:45 am

Ok, how about when your husband is screwing around and “accidentally” does it? And then he of course hangs up real quick, and in our area they send a cop just in case!!

a real anti-supermom June 27, 2008 at 10:03 am

Ha-ha. I have yet to experience this *yet*

Shannon June 27, 2008 at 10:04 am

OMG, too funny. My 2 year old did that in January at my MIL’s house. Scared the crap out of us. The police were not impressed at all, they were pretty rude when I calmly explained it was an accident, that my son had picked up the phone.

carol June 27, 2008 at 11:44 am

Uh oh! Too funny. I suppose I should go take my phone away from 2 year old before the cops turn up here.

Mamasphere June 27, 2008 at 1:01 pm

Luckily my daughter hasn’t managed to call 911, but she HAS called friends and family, who get the pleasure of listening in on us while we have no idea we’re being listened TO. Yeah, that’s a lot of fun- backtracking through the last 10 minutes of conversation to make sure you didn’t say anything offensive!

KD (A Bit Squirrelly) June 27, 2008 at 5:04 pm

That is SO funny because my Muirne did the same thing…

McMommy June 27, 2008 at 6:55 pm

HA!!! I always give Carter the phone to play with….and the thought that he could accidentally call someone has definitely crossed my mind. The thought of him calling 9-1-1 seemed impossible.

You just proved me WRONG!!

Ha! Thanks for the tip!

happy pow!

Joni June 30, 2008 at 9:25 pm

My daughter called 9-1-1 on my cell phone even when I had the buttons “locked.” I guess if you hold down the “9″ it auto-dials. The operator was very nice, but frank in her telling me, “Cell phones should not be used as toys.” Ha, you tell that to my 3 year old.
Happy POW!